stats counter

Friday, June 22, 2012

I looked on my calander and noted, with interest, that on today's date in 1847, the doughnut was invented, or actually improved upon by- At this point I'm pasting the fact I found on Wikipedia
Hanson Gregory, an American, claimed to have invented the ring-shaped doughnut in 1847 aboard a lime-trading ship when he was only 16 years old. Gregory was dissatisfied with the greasiness of doughnuts twisted into various shapes and with the raw center of regular doughnuts. He claimed to have punched a hole in the center of dough with the ship's tin pepper box, and later taught the technique to his mother.

According to anthropologist Paul R. Mullins, the first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803 English volume which included doughnuts in an appendix of American recipes. By the mid-19th century, the doughnut looked and tasted like today’s doughnut, and was viewed as a thoroughly American food.
I'm not really into doughnuts, but I know alot of people are and that was just my interesting fact for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment